|SCP Link|| SCP-079|
|This SCP has music relating to it.|
SCP-079, referred to as the "Old AI", is a sentient microcomputer that can be encountered in SCP - Containment Breach.
Description[edit | edit source]
SCP-079 is an Exidy Sorcerer microcomputer built in 1978 when its creator took it upon himself to attempt to code an AI. According to his notes, his plan was for the code to continuously evolve and improve itself as time went on. It is not known when SCP-079 gained sentience, but it is known that the software has evolved to a point where its hardware should not be able to handle it.
SCP-079 is currently connected via RF cable to a 13" black-and-white television. It has passed the Turing test, and is quite conversational, though very rude and hateful in tone. Due to the limited memory it has to work with, SCP-079 can only recall information it has received within the previous thirty-five hours, although it has not forgotten its desire to escape.
In-game[edit | edit source]
SCP-079 can be found in its containment chamber. The chamber itself cannot fully be explored until the player has disabled the remote door control system in the electrical center. In the far side of the chamber is a gated off cell that holds the Exidy Sorcerer that SCP-079 runs on.
If the player approaches the cell, SCP-079 will appear on the monitor and engage in a short one-sided conversation with the player. It is revealed here that SCP-079 has in fact taken control over the facility via the door remote console, and that it is the reason the breach initially took place. It also reveals that in disabling the door control system, D-9341 has limited SCP-079's operations, rendering it almost impotent without so. Here, it proposes a compromise with the player to give them access to Gate B, in return of re-enabling the door control system, allowing it to do so. Once the player re-activates the remote door control system, SCP-079 will open the blast door to the exit.
After SCP-079 makes its proposal, it will display an "X" on its screen and will not talk to the player until the door control system is re-enabled.
While the remote door control system is on, SCP-079 will sometimes open and close doors, indicated by a certain high-pitched whine that plays. This can be inconvenient and sometimes hazardous if the player is trying to elude a hostile SCP. SCP-079 will also open the door to SCP-012's containment chamber when the player approaches it in an attempt to kill them. If the player enters the large testing chamber and attempts to pick up SCP-682's document in the center of the chamber, SCP-079 will release gas from the ceiling and say via intercom, "You're not getting out."
SCP-079 can momentarily flash on any CCTV monitor in the facility. It will also display SCP-895's camera feed on any monitor at random points throughout the game. The only way to stop this is for the player to turn off the feed in the control room of SCP-895's containment chamber.
SCP-079 can also be heard over the facility intercom at random times, occasionally muttering nonsensical vocalizations in a threatening manner. It should be noted that these extortions can be heard before the breach as well.
Inside of SCP-079's chamber is a monitor which displays a conversation between it and Dr. Maynard. It reveals that he gave SCP-079 direct access to most of the facility's functions while the site was busy with SCP-106's first breach. It is the reason for the lights and door control system malfunctioning during the intro.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- "Human, listen carefully. You need my help. And I need your help. You have disabled the remote door control system. Now, I am unable to operate the doors. This makes it significantly harder for me to stay in control of this facility. It also means your way out of here is locked. Your only feasible way of escaping is through Gate B, which is currently locked down. I, however, could unlock the doors to Gate B, if you re-enable the door control system. If you want out of here, go back to the electrical room, and put it back on. Until then, I have no business speaking to you."
- "So, you choose to die here? Very well."
- After the player reactivates the door control system
- "The doors to Gate B are now open."
- When the player is in the large testing chamber
- "You're not getting out."
- Heard randomly, over the facility intercom
- "[Reversed] Deus Ex Machina."
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Despite telling the player that their only way out of the facility is through Gate B, Gate A, the main exit to the facility, is actually not locked down, unlike Gate B. It is unknown if SCP-079 is oblivious to this, or is in fact manipulating D-9341 to give it back access to the facility. It should be noted that the only way to access Gate A is by disabling the remote door control system, meaning that SCP-079 could be purposefully holding the blast door to that exit closed. Interestingly, SCP-682 escapes to the surface at Gate B, and the player will either die in nuclear fire, or get terminated by the pursuing military forces due to its threat. It is unknown if this is a coincidence, or rather a set-up, seeing as how SCP-079 and SCP-682 both share a mutual alliance of sorts, as hinted at in SCP-079's Foundation article.
- SCP-079 was originally classified as Safe/Euclid/Keter, an object class no longer used by the Foundation. It was reclassified twice, first to Safe/Keter, and then to its current class.
- When observing the monitor inside the control room, the player can faintly see SCP-079's avatar in the background.
- SCP-079's cryptic reversed statement, Deus Ex Machina, is a common Latin phrase which can refer to a specific plot device, but also directly translates into "God from the Machine".
- SCP-079's voice was created using Dr. Sbaitso, a well known artificial intelligence program made to personify a psychiatrist created in the early 90s.
- Tones from the United States' Emergency Alert System are incorporated into the background static when SCP-079 speaks.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
SCP-079 as it appears in the loading screen.
References[edit | edit source]